Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Reflection


When I heard the class had to go to a mandatory book reading, I immediately thought of the word boring. I do not particularly like reading nor was I looking forward to someone reading to me. In all honestly, I was surprised to admit that I quite enjoyed Tayari Jones’ reading of “Silver Sparrow.” It was not so much that I actually liked the book; it was more due to fact that I enjoyed the author’s personality. The she read the dialogue in her story caught my attention. She performed each character and kept me interested. I expected a long boring reading of some book that I wouldn’t read anyway, but it was a positive experience and it did not cause me to believe that my time was wasted. Jones’ question and answer section at the end of her reading was definitely the most entertaining part. She was a person that the average person was able to relate to. She did not make herself to seem better than anyone. She told her audience to basically stay true to themselves and their writing. She expressed that writers need to be realistic about their writing and to know what is good, what is bad, and what the audience would find interesting. She was definitely a personality that almost anyone could get along with.

No comments:

Post a Comment