Wednesday, January 25, 2012

America


During my high school years, I never cared for the United States. If anything, I did not think my country was all that great. When the class would say the Pledge of Allegiance, I would stand up out of obligation but would never put my hand over my heart of recite the words. It was not until I travelled through Europe did I become in love with my country where people would flee to in order to start a new life.
Summer of 2010 and 2011, I was fortunate enough to visit Europe.  In the summer of 2010 I went explored England, Switzerland, France, Croatia, Turkey, Greece, and Italy. Since I went to these countries with a group of people my age on a Teen Tour, I did not pay much attention to the living conditions and life style of the areas. I was too focused on the social aspect of the trip. The European trip with my family in the summer of 2011 kicked me into reality. My family and I ventured through the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, and Romania. Every time my family tours a location, my father always makes sure we are paying attention to everything. He points out every little detail that he feels is important to the family’s experience for the trip. I recall visiting a Jewish cemetery in Romania filled with garbage and syringes. It was a depressing sight, not just due to the fact that its cemetery, but because it was an ill kept cemetery and just plain right disgusting. All through these countries I saw a repulsive amount of rubbish that took over the streets and sidewalks. There were even an unrealistic amount of stray dogs roaming through the area accommodating to the city life. The atmosphere in these countries grossed me out immensely. The whole time I was in Europe, I was comparing everything to the way of life in America. I compared how Europe you are not able to drink out water out of the tap because the water is not sanitary, the way most places in Europe do not have air-conditioning and that you have to pay to use the bathrooms. During the trip I kept thinking, “It’s beautiful and all, but would I really want to live here?” The appealing parts in these countries are the tourist attractions, but that is how it is for almost every country. Each country has their own source of beauty.
 That trip fully changed my perception of America. I now think it is the best country and am grateful to live here. Red, white, and blue are my official favorite colors. I even now go out of my way to buy American flag merchandise. I have a variety of different American flag styled shirts, an American flag backpack, an American flag purse, two small American flags hanging up in my dorm room, and a copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I verbally defend this country during arguments and any song that mentions America in a positive context I automatically love. I am so thankful to live in the great, secure country and can not even dream of leaving elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment